#3 Monarch - Canoe Pack
- Ultra burly 15-ounce canvas construction with removable waist belt.
- Clip-on sternum strap to help alleviate shifting of shoulder straps.
- Soft padded leather shoulder straps riveted for extra reinforcement.
- Large main compartment with three built in slash pockets and one deep tarp/sleeping pad sleeve to help cushion your back.
- Side pockets provide quick access to everyday necessities.
- Rides low to allow the carrying of a canoe while also wearing the pack.
- Each pack comes with a heavy duty 6ml poly liner and a tumpline.
- Guaranteed for life. Made in the USA.
We begin with our sturdy 18-ounce canvas, add quality roller buckles and then premium leather straps, sewn and reinforced with rivets. To our tough leather shoulder straps we added foam padding and covered the foam with soft glove leather. A clip-on sternum strap keeps shoulder straps from shifting, and an adjustable (and removable) hip belt further stabilizes the load and helps distribute the weight. The large side-release buckle closure on the waist belt makes getting in and out of the pack a breeze . In addition, we also added side straps for load compression and stabilization, side pockets, three slash pockets on the inside front and a deep inside pack pocket to hold a tarp or sleeping pad to cushion your back. Comes with a replaceable heavy-duty poly liner. Also available in Waxed Canvas. Made in USA.
Item No. S-315 Monarch #3
- Dimensions: 23H x 21W x 6D +pockets
- Capacity: 5,780 cubic inches : 94.71L
- Construction: 15 oz canvas, box pack design, double sewn side seams, leather reinforcements for all rivets and high stress seams, padded leather shoulder straps, includes M-215 poly liner, compatible with 20” basket
History of this Product
Borrowing its name from our old canoe pack trade name from the early to mid 1900's, Monarch Brand, the Monarch Pack exemplifies our never-ending commitment to both traditional pack building methods and technological innovation. Before the Monarch was developed and eventually added to the Duluth Pack product line it was quite common for our customers to regularly request custom modifications or add-ons to our packs. In response to this overwhelming demand, we decided to build a pack that offered all of the innovative features and creature comforts that many of our customers had come to expect over the years. We accomplished this goal with the Monarch Pack, but without compromising the traditional methods and materials we have always (for over 125 years!) felt make the highest quality and most durable packs in the world.
|Dimensions||23H x 21W x 6D +pockets|
- Outstanding pack
- Best all-around pack
The benefits of this design are many,. The side pockets allow for convenient access to the necessary extras on wilderness trips, such as rain gear, sandals, an extra layer, hats, or rope. The padded shoulder straps, chest strap, and waistband allow comfortable portaging of heavier loads that sit conveniently on the hips. The map case clips and matching map case are a fun added bonus, and for those who navigate by map in a canoe, the case swings easily over a thwart while still attached to the pack for on-the-water reading.
I cannot recommend this pack enough! You will not be disappointed! (Posted on 7/18/2010)
- Very Happy
- Best of all Packs!
- story of my life
- Time Tested
(Posted on 1/8/2009)
- Monarch=Great Pack
The padded leather straps on the Monarch makes it a comfortable carry the very first time out. Standard straps have a break in period of a few trips...not so with the Monarch.
The one criticism I have of the Monarch #4 is its dimensions. When it is FULLY LOADED, the dimensions are such that it needs to be rotated as it is loaded into a Grumman 17ft standard. This makes it a little awkward to quickly load/unload, but the comfort and capacity make up for it.
P.S.- My younger brother (15 at the time) carried the Monarch #4 loaded with ~80lbs of food and cooking gear across a >300 rod portage. No complaining the whole way! (Posted on 11/28/2008)
- Functional, Durable, Reparable
1. Durable. Modern plastic materials are not suitable to high alpine deserts and gritty rough conditions which abraid easily, neutralizing their advantage in water resistance. The heavy duty canvas of the Monarch is perfect for resisting the dirt and grit.
2. Repairable. Most packs made from various synthetic materials, especially ones designed for waterproofing, are rendered useless after a single tear or hole, since stitching further perforates the shell, and adhesive patches inevitably peel off. I can patch my monarch pack (for instance, after it fell off a jeep in the Kashmir) with a sewing kit and whatever heavy canvas I find locally, meaning it is as good as new in no time.
3. Functional. I carry a lot of different kinds of gear, so the extra pockets help for keeping it separate. The box construction also makes it easy to store large bulky clothing. In the Taklamakan desert temperatures can vary wildly requiring large amounts of clothing, which fit easily into the large section. It is just as easily filled with large waterproof stuff-sacks for wet environments. The heavy materials mean it effortlessly holds up even when heavily weighted down.
4. Comfort. The waist band is pretty useless, so you won't be able to carry the weight on your hips, but the straps are comfortable, and the back, with no frame, is very comfortable if you put something soft like a sweater lining the back. (Posted on 3/3/2008)