Good Eats: Tater Tot Hotdish
Nothing quite says a Midwest winter like Tater Tot Hotdish. A sense of comfort is brought to the table just hearing those words. Whether a crisp fall afternoon or a snowed-in winter night, this is the essential dish no matter what the occasion is. Tater Tot Hotdish is quick, inexpensive, and simple to make at home or at the cabin. Here are a few recipes ranging from simple and traditional to bold and unforgettable. Grab your utensils and let’s eat!
Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish
This recipe is about as traditional as it gets. This savory dish from (Nellie Bellie) can be made in just under an hour.
- 1lb ground beef
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 cup peas and carrots - mixed vegetables
- 1 package tater tots
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put the diced onion in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and saute until ground beef is cooked and onions are translucent.
- Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Pour the cooked meat and onions into the 9x13 pan. Spread the veggies evenly over the top. Add the cheddar cheese. Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the veggies. Some people mix it here, some people don’t. It’s up to you.
- Place the tater tots evenly on top of the mixture in straight lines. (It’s okay if you’re lazy and don’t put them in straight lines, just make sure they’re pretty even or they won’t cook properly)
- Bake for 1 hour. Check if tater tots are not golden brown and the veggies are still crunchy, put in over for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Hotdish
Yes, you read that right. This two-in-one recipe takes the Minnesota tradition to a whole new level. This recipe from (LiveLoveTexas) takes an hour. Let us know what you think of this mash-up! Here is the recipe for Cheesy Taco Tater Tot Hotdish:
- 2 cups ground beef or veggie crumbles
- 1 cup diced red and green peppers
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- ¼ cup chopped green chilies
- ½ - ⅔ cup enchilada sauce
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese for filling
- Bag of frozen tater tots
- ½ cup enchilada sauce for topping
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping - more or less if you would like
- Toppings of your choice (diced tomato, green onion, black olives)
- Brown ground beef, drain, and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in peppers, black beans, green chilies, corn, enchilada sauce, and cheese. Stir to blend.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x11 or 9x13 inch dish with nonstick, and pour in your mixture.
- Top with a single layer of tater tots, arranged side by side.
- Brush on enchilada sauce, sprinkle on cheese, and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add toppings, and serve.
Kicked-Up Tater Tot Hotdish
If you’re looking to bump up your hotdish game, look no further. This spicy hotdish recipe from (The Pioneer Woman) can be made in an hour and 20 minutes and is sure to get your taste buds tingling.
- 1 ¼ lb beef top sirloin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter; divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper, reserving 2 tbsp for garnish
- 1 cup diced poblano pepper, reserving 2 tbsp for garnish
- 8oz chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tbsp minced jalapeno pepper, plus jalapeno slices for garnish
- 4 cloves (large) garlic minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 lb frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice beef against the grain into thin strips. Then roughly chop into 1/2- to 1-inch sized pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add beef and brown it, stirring occasionally. Remove browned beef to a plate with a slotted spoon. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the beef fat, and then add 2 tablespoons of butter to the beef fat in the pan. Once butter is melted, add the onion, red bell pepper, poblano pepper, mushrooms, jalapeño pepper, and garlic.
- Stir to incorporate. Cook until the onions are transparent and the mushrooms are nicely softened - about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Now slide everything in the skillet to one side. Tilt the skillet to draw the juices from the vegetables out into the empty side of the skillet. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the empty side of the skillet. When the butter is melted, sprinkle the flour over the butter, whisking all the while (a flat whisk works awesome here!). Draw in as much butter, beef fat, and juices from the vegetables as you can, into the flour. The mixture will be thick and paste-like. Cook for a minute or two, until the mixture is browned and fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, Tabasco, and Worcestershire to the gravy side of the skillet. Whisk and cook for 1 minute. Then slowly add the milk while you whisk and scrape the bottom of the skillet. Once this mixture is smoothed out, bring the vegetable mixture into the milk mixture, and then add the reserved beef. Stir to incorporate. Cook until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Then stir in sour cream, plus 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Next, add the corn and half of each of the cheeses, and stir to incorporate. Taste the gravy, adjusting with additional salt and pepper if needed. Level mixture out in the skillet. Then top with frozen tater tots.
- Place skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese cubes and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Place skillet back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Then place the skillet underneath the broiler for a few minutes, until the hotdish is bubbling and the tater tots and cheese are browned to your liking. Remove from oven and sprinkle with reserved diced red bell pepper, poblano pepper, jalapeño slices, and remaining cilantro. Serve hot.
Southwest Sweet Potato Tater Tot Hotdish
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red/yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 16 oz fresh mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 lb pepper jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 14oz can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 bags sweet potato tater tots
- Red peppers, corn, cilantro, jalapenos for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Heat the butter in a medium-high heat in a 10.25 medium cast-iron skillet. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers; saute until soft. Add the spices and stir to mix.
- Add the flour and stir to coat until everything gets sticky. Add the milk slowly, stirring after each addition, until you get a smooth mixture. Add the cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Stir in the black beans and corn. Taste and adjust - this is a good time to add your salt!
- Top the whole thing with tater tots.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Beware the bubbling over - put a pan underneath to catch any drips. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Chicken Tot Pie
Two more comfort classics joining hands to create a delicious meal. This recipe from (Dinner then Dessert) is one you’ll want to try.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 16oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, mixed vegetables, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken, and cheese in a large bowl.
- Pour into a baking dish and then top with tater tots, lined up neatly in rows.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
Tater Tot Sloppy Joe Casserole
This combination of these comfort foods from (The Diary of a Real Housewife) is a delicious mix to add to your dinner menu. Let us know what you think!
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 15oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet cook ground beef and diced onion on medium-high heat. Add seasoning salt to ground beef. Cook ground beef until fully brown. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire Sauce. Add this to the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Place tater tots on top of the beef in the casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tater tots are fully cooked.
We hope these recipes gave you some inspiration for the next time you’re craving some classic midwest comfort food! If you have any recipe recommendations or questions, please let us know!
Happy cooking, friends!