The hard goods buyer is responsible for planning and selecting a range of products to sell in the Duluth Pack Store, on our website and any other sales vehicles. Duluth Pack buyers are expected to source new merchandise and review existing ones to ensure products remain competitive. By fully understanding customer needs, buyers are able to maximize profits and provide a commercially viable range of merchandise at competitive prices. Keeping up to date with market trends and reacting to changes in demand are key elements of the role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
KEY RESULTS AREAS
· Analyzing consumer buying patterns and predicting future trends.
· Regularly reviewing performance indicators, e.g. sales and discount levels.
· Managing plans for stock levels.
· Reacting to changes in demand.
· Reacting to changes in logistics.
· Meeting with suppliers and negotiating terms of contract.
· Maintaining relationships with existing suppliers and sourcing new suppliers for future products.
· Working with other departments within the organization to ensure projects are completed.
· Participating in promotional activities.
· Writing reports and forecasting sales levels.
· Presenting new ranges to senior retail managers.
· Seeking merchandise feedback from customers.
· Training and mentoring junior staff.
· Organizing clinics with vendors to keep staff up to date on merchandise.
· Uphold the integrity of the quality and planning that goes in to the procurement of all Duluth Pack sold products.
· Responsible for procurement planning to meet customer, corporate and dealer demand.
· Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with all levels of staff within Duluth Pack organization.
· Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with outside suppliers, vendors and customers.
· Implementation of lean principles and techniques to streamline the purchasing process (blanket ordering and extended planning).
· Responsible for purchased goods inventory analysis and control including maintaining appropriate levels of purchased goods to meet our customer’s demands during the changing seasonal demands.
· Resolve any recurring or significant inventory variances within inventory levels at the Duluth Pack retail store.
· Attending industry trade shows to view product lines, build relationships with current and potential new vendors.
· Other duties as assigned by the Department Manager to meet the needs of the business.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment will be stressful at times.
Required Education and Experience
Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in marketing or business-related field and one to two years of experience in a business role or an AA Degree and combination of education and relevant experience providing equivalent knowledge. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, RMS and Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains. Understanding of database and reporting systems with willingness to grow this skill set. Strong written and oral communication skills, ability to work with statistical data, and proven organizational skills are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of general procurement and purchasing principles and their practical application to the retail sales industry.
· Knowledge of and skill in using a personal computer and related desktop software including Microsoft Excel, Word and Dynamics GP/RMS software.
· Ability to write legibly and communicate effectively with all levels in the organization, including skill in preparing written materials such as correspondence and reports to meet purpose and audience.
· Knowledge of the various services, products, policies and procedures of Duluth Pack and knowledge of the various departments within the company and how their respective functions interrelate to the Procurement and purchasing department.
· Ability to prepare work in a timely and accurate fashion and to keep work area in a neat and presentable manner.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
· Ability to address problems in a professional manner and work toward and appropriate solution.
· Ability to communicate thoughts and ideas to other, both verbal and written.
· Ability to work independently and as a productive member of a team.
Full Time Employment Position. Duluth Pack is pleased to offer the following benefit package: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, 401(k)-retirement plan, paid time off, and an employee discount. Eligibility and waiting periods vary and are subject to the provisions of each benefit plan.
Please scroll down and use the form below our openings to apply.